Noisy pet bird ‘saved’ owner’s life
A 72-year-old man has credited his pet cockatiel with saving his life after raising the alarm by making a “heck of a noise” when he had a stroke.
Brian Molineaux, a night porter, collapsed at his home in Chelmsford, Essex, before he could feed his 17-year-old pet, called Budgie.
The bird made “such a fuss” that it alerted his wife, Shirley, 68, who called for help.
Mr Molineaux, who spent four days in hospital but has since made a “miraculous” recovery, said: “Budgie wanted feeding and that’s probably why she made such a fuss.
“Apparently she made a heck of a noise.”
Mrs Molineaux, who was in bed at the time, said her “sixth sense” alerted her to the fact that something “wasn’t quite right” on the morning of March 2.
“Budgie is a free-flying bird in the house and when Brian gets up he always changes her feed,” she said. “This morning he didn’t and she was waiting, as if to say: ‘Where’s my food?’.
“She started making a lot of noise and a sixth sense made me come downstairs.
“Quite often I would have turned over and gone back to sleep. But this wasn’t quite right, with her making such a fuss, so I went down.”
Mrs Molineaux found her husband, who had not experienced any previous strokes, lying on the living room floor.
Ambulance crews arrived soon after and Mr Molineaux was taken to hospital.
“I’ve made a miraculous recovery,” he said. “I’m in my 70s and I’ve seen some dreadful results from strokes – people who can’t speak or move their legs.
“Part of the reason I’ve made such a good recovery is the fact that I got help so quickly – and that’s thanks to Budgie.”